Some Facts About Driving in Dubai
Hi, Sunil here to share some really funny facts about driving in Dubai
This list is a mix of truth, sarcasm and both good and bad humor.
I just ask that you keep an open mind and a light heart as you read this.
I don't think it's all serious or meant to harm someone.
When I first read it, I had some mixed reactions, but I won't lie, I laughed a lot.
This is a list sent over by our friend Shabeer. He titled it as the "real facts about driving in Dubai".
Kish and I hope that you enjoy this one just as much as we did!
- 1. If your Road Map is more than a few weeks old, throw it out and get a new one.
- 2. If you are in Rashidiya and your map is one day old, then it is already obsolete
- 3. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Dubai has its own version of Traffic rules, which can be summarized as "Hold on and pray!"
- 4. If it is your priority to cross, forget it and wait.
- 5. There is no such thing as a dangerous High-Speed chase in Dubai. Everyone drives like that.
- 6. When you plan to get a new car, ask first about its acceleration from 80 to 160 Km/h (recommended: 3 seconds). Very important if you frequently use the Emirates Road.
- 7. All directions start with Sheikh Zayed Road, which has no beginning and no end !
- 8. The Morning rush hour is from 5:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The Evening rush hour is from 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- 9. Thursday's rush hour starts on Wednesday evening!
- 10. If you slow down at a Yellow Light, you will be knocked from behind by another Motorist and then, rewarded with a white ticket by the Dubai Police.
- 11. If you are the first one at the intersection, when the light turns Green, ignore the Car honking behind you and count to five to avoid crashing into one of the Cars jumping the Red Light from your Left !
- 12. Construction on all main roads is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment. "Sorry for the inconvenience" is an honor for your long-suffering.
- 13. All unfamiliar sights are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we must be in Sharjah !"
- 14. Car horns are actually Toys for Adults.
- 15. Anyone in a Land Cruiser, Armada, Tahoe, Dodge, BMW or a Mercedes with less than 5 digits in their number plate and tinted windows, has the right of way.. You bet... it is a Fact!
- 16. If you are driving a Corolla, Sunny, or another small Japanese car, stay on the far right lane. No comment!
- 17. Most roads mysteriously change names as you cross underneath Intersections or Bridges.
- 18. To ask directions, you must have good knowledge of Hindi and or Malayalam.
- 19. A trip across town will take a minimum of four hours, although Sheikh Zayed Road has an un-posted minimum speed of 150 Km/h.
- 20. It is sobering to realize that local Arabs are taught how to drive by Malayalees.
- 21. 18 wheeler Trucks are one of the fastest vehicles in Dubai; they can do 120 Km/h on Hatta-Oman Road when fully loaded.
- 22. The minimum acceptable speed on the Emirates Road is 160 km/h, anything less is considered downright sissy !
- 23. Al Khail Road is Dubai's daily version of NASCAR.
- 24. Dubai Autodrome has a new extension: The Emirates Road !
- 25. New 4x4s and SUVs gulf specifications are coming without indicators and dim head beam light.
- 26. Slowest moving vehicle on road is Dubai public transport busses
- 27. Taxi drivers will drive like rowdy boys once vacant, and they will suddenly become a bishop once a passenger is inside so the meter make more fare
- 28. If you see a car not bothered about the red signal, then make sure that it is a Palestini or a Misri ( Egyptian). They don't get fine coz all the misri people are either doctor or mohanthis ( engineer).so "waastha" is there for them.
- 29. Dont give indicator to change your lane once you have a Mulbaari driver on that side, because he will start driving parallel in your blind zone
- 30. Once you see a car restlessly changing lanes in traffic jam, he has an Abu Dhabi driving license.
- 31. A person driving slow in middle of two lanes, he is from China or Philipines
- 32. You will see your destination, but you can not reach there, it is Sharjah
- 33. You reached your destination, but you can not stop or park, it is Dubai
- 34. If you have a Pathan (Pakistani) driver, never give him full information. Tell him in bits and pieces.